Search This Blog

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Quick, Easy Body Butter


I recently found out how unhealthy store bought lotion can be.  For example sodium laureth sulfate contains dioxane which is a carcinogen.  Parabens are another thing to avoid along with; DEA, TEA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Petroleum, Propelene Glycol PVP/VA Copolymer, Stearalkonium, Chloride, synthetic colors, synthetic fragrances.  Wow!  That is really a lot of unnecessary chemicals in my opinion.  I love Jillee's recipe for body butter but when I want something quick and easy I make this.

All you need is:
Coconut oil
Essential oil
Heat safe container for your body butter

Put the coconut oil in the heat safe container and place on the coffee maker warmer, or melt the oil in a double boiler.  I am using a teacup my daughter gave me, it has a lot of sentimental value and is perfect for my white fir body butter.  If you must, you can use a microwave to melt it but microwaves kill all or most of the medicinal qualities so I never, ever use one.  I don't even own one, they're bad I tell ya!  

So, when the stuff is melted go ahead and remove from heat and add your essential oil(s).

That's it!  It will solidfy in a few hours. I use it right out of the shower to lock in the moisture and it is heavenly!  A little greasy at first but trust me, your skin will suck it up like a sponge!  This is so much better than putting a chemical shit storm on your body and you can customize the fragrance to your liking.  What fragrance would you use?



     

1 comment:

  1. Fyi it also works really well if you whip it with a mixer instead of melting it. Then the body butter is nice and fluffy and more body butter like!

    ReplyDelete